Do you ever see a stamp set and know exactly how you want to use it? That was the case for me the moment I spied the Hello Easter stamp set in the Occasions 2018 catalogue. The bunny and eggs in this set are so sweet, and I instantly pictured an Easter basket holding a cracked-open egg, with the bunny popping out of it.
Unfortunately, as you can see, there’s no Easter basket stamp included in this set. So to make my card vision a reality, I had to get creative. Thankfully, Stampin’ Up! just released a second round of Sale-A-Bration freebies, including the new Basket Weave embossing folder.
What better tool could there be to make an Easter basket? So I grabbed some Garden Green cardstock, embossed it with this lovely folder, and trimmed it down to make an Easter basket base. With the addition of a ribbon-wrapped cardstock handle, my Easter basket dilemma was solved. Now my bunny and his egg have the perfect little nesting spot, just as I imagined.
This is one of the best things about stamping and papercrafting. With a little creative thinking, and the right tools, you can make any project you imagine a reality!
Tips to Make This Card
Want to make this card? Here’s are the supplies that I used, plus some tips for putting the card together.
Shopping links are included at the end of this post.
- Stamps: Hello Easter (Occasions 2018)
- Calypso Coral pre-made standard card base from the Tutti-frutti Cards & Envelopes pack
- (1) 1-1/2 x 3-1/2-inch rectangle of Garden Green cardstock to make the basket base
- (1) 3/8 x 8-1/8-inch strip of Garden Green cardstock to make the basket handle
- Whisper White cardstock
- Ink Pads: Pool Party, Calypso Coral, Garden Green, Soft Suede, Basic Black
- Other: Basket Weave embossing folder, embossing machine, white ribbon, SNAIL adhesive, Mini Glue Dots, Stampin’ Dimensionals, scissors, corner rounder, ruler, pencil
A. Stamping & Cutting the Images
- Stamp all of the images on Whisper White cardstock:
- Striped Egg is stamped in Pool Party, decorated with Calypso Coral flowers and Garden Green leaves
- Bunny is stamped in Soft Suede
- 3 flowers are stamped in Calypso Coral
- Cut out all of the images using Paper Snips or small-tip scissors.
- Cut the egg ‘open’ with jagged up and down strokes so that it looks ‘cracked’.
B. Making the Easter Basket Base
- If you want the Basket Weave pattern to be centered on the basket base piece, make sure you position it that way in the folder before you emboss it.
- Use a corner rounder to round the lower left and right corners of the basket base for a more realistic look.
- Use two pieces of ribbon to make the bow:
- Wrap a 4-inch length around the basket base, securing the ends at the back with Mini Glue Dots
- Tie, trim, and attach a bow to the front center of the ribbon wrap
C. Making the Easter Basket Handle
Fold the 3/8 x 8-1/8-inch strip of Garden Green cardstock in half along one of the long sides.
Unfold the strip, and lay it on your work surface so that one of the long sides faces you. Then, using your ruler, measure 1-1/2 inches to the right of the fold line, and mark a pencil notch on the cardstock. Now measure 1-1/2 inches to the left of the fold line, and mark another pencil notch.
Now fold the right end of the cardstock strip towards you at the right pencil notch, so that it is perpendicular to the rest of the strip. Repeat with the left end of the cardstock strip.
To finish the basket handle, wrap it with ribbon, securing the ends of the ribbon behind the handle with Mini Glue Dots.
TIP: It works best to wrap one section at a time, using three separate pieces of ribbon.
D. Assembling the Card
- Attach the bunny and egg pieces to the center of the card with SNAIL adhesive, then attach the basket handle with Tear & Tape (double-sided tape) over the top of the stamped images.
- Use Stampin’ Dimensionals to attach the basket base, making sure that the top edge covers the ends of the basket handle.
- Be sure to leave enough room below the basket base to stamp your sentiment.
All of the supplies that I used to make this card are available through my online shop. Please note that you can only get the Tutti-frutti Cards & Envelopes pack, and the Basket Weave embossing folder for FREE with your qualifying Sale-A-Bration order between now and March 31st 2018.