Are your patterned paper scraps overflowing your craft space? Try paper piecing to use them up! Paper piecing is a fun alternative to coloring stamped images, and an easy way to add texture and style to your projects.
Today I used this easy stamping technique with the Party Pandas stamp set and a few other Sale-A-Bration goodies to make a playful birthday card.
With paper piecing, I was able to bring this darling panda’s single balloon to life, and give him a couple more festive balloons to hold. This saved me time on coloring the image, and helped me use up some paper scraps.
By the way, the inspiration for this card was one that’s featured in the current Sale-A-Bration catalogue.
In case you’ve ever wondered, CASE-ing (Copy And Selectively Edit) cards and other projects that you find in the Stampin’ Up!® catalogues is perfectly OK! That’s exactly why those sample projects are there — to give all of us fun ideas of ways to use our stamps!
Tips to Make This Card
Want to make this card? Here’s are the supplies that I used, plus some tips for paper piecing the image.
Shopping links are included at the end of this post.
Stamps: Party Pandas (Sale-A-Bration 2018)
- Daffodil Delight premade card base from the Tutti-frutti Cards and Envelopes pack (Sale-A-Bration 2018)
- Bubbles & Fizz designer papers (Sale-A-Bration 2018)
- One 1-1/2 x 5-1/2-inch strip of the bubble patterned paper
- One 1 x 5-inch strip of the striped patterned paper
- One 3/4 x 4-1/2-inch strip of the stars patterned paper
- A small scrap of each paper to stamp the balloons on
- 3-1/4 x 3-1/4-inch square of Whisper White cardstock to stamp the main image on
- Whisper White cardstock scrap to stamp the sentiment on
Ink Pads: Basic Black, Bermuda Bay
Other: Paper Snips (small-tip scissors), SNAIL adhesive, Stampin’ Dimensionals, black fine-point pen
Tips for Paper Piecing the Image
- Start by stamping the full image in Basic Black ink on Whisper White cardstock.
- Next, stamp just the balloon on three different scraps of patterned paper.
- Cut out one paper balloon, to fill the one that the panda is holding, by trimming along the inside edge of the stamped lines, then layer it onto the main stamped image with SNAIL adhesive.
- Cut out the other two paper balloons by trimming along the outside edges of the stamped lines.
- Arrange the extra balloons the way you want them on your card, and then attach one with SNAIL adhesive. Now attach the other with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Use a fine-tip black pen to draw balloon strings for the extra balloons before you attach the last balloon.
All of the supplies that I used to make this card are available through my online shop. Please note that you can only get the Party Pandas stamp set, Tutti-frutti Cards & Envelopes pack, and the Bubbles & Fizz designer papers for FREE with your qualifying Sale-A-Bration order between now and March 31st 2018.